The Fenestration Installation Technician – Level 1 (FIT-1) Personnel Certification has been developed by Fenestration Canada in conjunction with industry stakeholders to provide assurance that an individual possesses the competencies deemed necessary to perform the job function of a Fenestration Installation Technician – Level 1 (FIT-1). The certification is designed to complement accreditation programs for verification bodies.
This certification has been developed in compliance with the ISO 17024 standard. ISO 17024 is the global benchmark for organizations operating personnel certification programs and outlines the methods and procedures required to ensure the objective and unbiased assessment of a candidate’s knowledge, skills and abilities.
Passing the FIT-1 examination will indicate that the candidate possesses the knowledge, skills and decision-making abilities necessary to install, service and replace factory assembled windows, exterior doors and skylights that are intended for installation in low-rise buildings and buildings used primarily for residential occupancy up to three stories. Candidates will also be tested on applying appropriate knowledge and skill to assure the installation meets all manufacturer and standards requirements.
Certified Fenestration Installation Technicians will be periodically re-assessed to ensure they remain up-to-date on technical developments and industry changes.
The Building Professionals website will contain a registry of Certified Fenestration Installation Technicians.
Qualifications of a Certified Fenestration Installation Technician
The Fenestration Installation Technician- Level 1 certification tests each candidate’s knowledge to ensure the candidate possesses the knowledge and skills of the FIT-1 known as the minimally qualified candidate (MQC). BP’s expert committee defines the minimally qualified candidate as follows:
The MQC has the knowledge and is able to do the following without assistance, including (but not limited to):
- Understand the latest construction and building technologies,
- Read, understand and apply standards, codes and manufacturer’s instructions, and
- Utilize the appropriate materials, methods and select use and maintain tools required for the proper installation of factory assembled exterior doors, windows and unit skylights in residential settings 3 stories or less
- Basic mathematics, geometry
- Understand construction documentation including drawings and written specifications
- Understand and apply the latest construction and building technologies
- Read, understand and apply manufacturer’s instructions
- Follow the manufacturer’s requirements
- Read, understand and apply the A440.4 Window Installation standard as well as industry bestpractices and building science concepts
- Understand and apply the regional and local climatic requirements – including A440.4 annex A installation guidelines (refer to current p. 50)
- Show competency in basic worksite Occupational Health and Safety Requirements
To apply to take the FIT-1 exam for certification, candidates must satisfy the following prerequisites:
- Experience: 2000 hours (1 year) work experience within the past 5 years
- Training: Manufacturer or industry training program, AND Experience: 500 hours work experience within the past 5 years
Please note: all information including references provided to Building Professionals as part of the application process will remain confidential.
Training courses are available through a number of manufacturers and training organizations throughout Canada, full and part-time in-class and via distance education. Courses are also available through professional associations and may be available through private colleges or other training providers.
Building Professionals does not endorse any organization.
To become a Certified Fenestration Installation Technician – Level 1 an applicant must:
- Submit a signed application form, documenting the required education and/or experience on the application form and performance checklist.
- Meet all prerequisites of the certification.
- Sign and adhere to the professional code of ethics.
- Submit all required fees.
- Pass the BP certification computer-based or written exam.
All application fees are due when submitting the application.
An e-mail address must be included as this will be the primary mode of communication regarding the steps in the certification process.
Building Professionals will process applications in the order received. If an application is incomplete, Building Professionals will notify the applicant via e-mail of the deficiencies found in the application. Those deficiencies must be corrected before the candidate will be approved to take the certification exam.
All applicants will receive a confirmation e-mail regarding their registration and certification eligibility requirements.
Each new application has a life span of six (6) months from the time it is received. The applicant must fulfill all requirements of the certification process within that time period. If an applicant is unable to complete the certification process within that period of time, the application will expire and the applicant must restart the certification process including payment of any application or examination fees.
The certification application is provided at the end of this document.
Fees for Delivery of a Window Installer Certification Program
|Initial Registration Fee (non-refundable)||Ont time only||$ 275.00|
|Annual Renewal of Certification Fee||Annually||$ 150.00|
|Reinstatement of Certification (if lapsed)||For each year the certification has been allowed to lapse||$ 150.00|
|Re-certification Fee (Exam must be taken to re-certify)||Every five years or as directed by Fenestration Canada||$ 150.00 plus $225.00 exam fee|
|Basic Exam Fee||Each time it is taken||$ 225.00|
|Online Proctored Exam Fee||Each time it is taken using an online proctor service||$ 225.00 exam fee plus $ 50.00|
|Approved Location Exam Fee||Each time it is taken using a physical location that is provided by BP.||$ 225.00 exam fee plus $ 125.00|
|Delivery of Exam at a Set Location Fee||Per location and day.||To be quoted separately.|
All fees are plus GST/HST.
Payment and Refund Policy
Payment of the fees must be submitted with the completed and signed application. All fees shall be submitted in Canadian funds. Building Professionals accepts checks, Visa, MasterCard and American Express as payment.
When the payment has been received, and the application is processed, notification will be sent regarding the next steps:
- Request for additional information
- Application audit (if selected)
- Exam scheduling notification.
Application fees are non-refundable.
Exam fees may be partially refunded if a written request is submitted at least one month prior to a scheduled exam date and at least one month prior to the examination eligibility expiration date. Building Professionals will retain the application fee and a processing fee of $95 USD or CAD funds as applicable.